I get a lot of emails and messages from people who are anxious to share their experiences with me, wondering if they’re going crazy, if they’re really a psychic, or a medium, or what.
First of all, I want you to know that you’re not alone. I’ve been there. Seeing things. Hearing voices. Not knowing what was going on! There’s a big difference between psychosis and being a psychic-medium though, so I have to encourage anyone who feels that their mental health might be compromised to seek out an expert.
Second of all, let’s get something straight - you are psychic. Everyone is born with these abilities*. Clairvoyance, clairaudience, clairsentience, and claircognizance are by and large accessible to everyone. However, like any skill, most of us require a little bit of work and conscious effort to develop them to a point where we can perceive and understand energy and spirits. How prevalent these abilities are naturally, what good they’ll do you, and you can use them to help others (if you want) is were things get really interesting. Additionally, everyone is born with mediumship abilities*. We are Spirit. We started this life as Spirit, and we’ll end it by returning to that form - communicating with other Spirits can be a bit tricky but it’s something that we are all able to do because it’s as natural as birth, death, and breathing.
(*There are rare exceptions where people are unable to access these abilities due to certain life-paths, certain past-life experiences, etc. But those are the exception, not the rule.)
So now that we’re on the same page, what comes next?
Step 1: Research and Absorb
Learn everything you possibly can. Read read read, and then read some more. This will help you with feeling overwhelmed and confused by the presence of Spirits in your life, because the more you know and understand, the more comfortable you will be with making decisions about how you want to handle your abilities.
Go to this Resources page on my website for a growing master-list of great resources. I also have to recommend Amanda Linette Meder’s website in particular from that list– she trained me, and she has an almost uncountable number of resources on her blog and website. She has also in turn created a resource list which is worth checking out.
At this stage I’m not giving you a hard and fast list of everything you should know, because it’s going to be different for every single person. If you’re already very aware of Spirit, chances are you’re going to find yourself finding exactly the right resources, articles, and people you need as you pick through the internet or pick up some books.
Step 2: Damage Control
If the presence of Spirits in your life is at a level that interferes with your health, sanity, or overall well-being, then there are several actions you can take to start living more comfortably.
1. Set Boundaries & Clear Your Space
- Blog post pending, until then you can check out this side-blog article
- How to clear, cleanse, and set boundaries with Spirits - Amanda Linette Meder
2. Learn Spirit Discernment
4. Conquer Your Fear, Turning Down Your Abilities, Taking a Step Back
- How to release the fear of seeing spirits - Amanda Linette Meder
- How to deal with mediumship in day to day life - Amanda Linette Meder
- When Working With Spirits Has You Feeling a Little Bit Crazy
Step 3: Decide
What do you want to do with your abilities? You don’t need to decide right away, but take some time to consider how you’re going to manage this reality.
- Do you want to develop your mediumship abilities further?
- Do you really want to be a medium? Here are some things to think about.
- 10 Things You Should Know Before Communicating With Spirits - Amanda Linette Mder
- Why Mediumship is Not for Everyone - Amanda Linette Meder
- Do you want to turn your abilities down and just get on with your life?
- Do you want to learn more about how your abilities can serve your highest and greatest good? (This is a topic that I frequently do readings on.)
Lastly, remember that you are not alone. There are thousands upon thousands of us out there. If you’re curious about my own experiences with coming to terms with mediumship, you can read the whole story here, see what I used to go through here, and find out what a day in my life looks like now.
Whatever you decide, whenever you decide it, know that there is no wrong answer. There’s only what’s best for you. Follow your heart and your intuition. Everything is going to be magical.