I was recently asked how one goes about learning mediumship, and becoming a medium, so I thought back to how it happened for me. Now, there are a lot of different ways that you go from everyday-life to everyday-life-with-spirits, so I recommend asking around, Googling, and seeing what paths your own personal research leads you down.
But here’s the path I, and many others, have taken. I’ve listed it in terms of steps, and in order of depth of involvement. Small steps first...
It's also smart to consider determining what you want out of mediumship. That will likely dictate how far you go down this path.
Are you just interested, not sure if you want to actually work with Spirits yet? Steps 1-2.
Do you want to only work with your own Spirits? Steps 1-3
Do you want to work with your own, and other people’s Spirits to deliver messages? Steps 1-4
Four Simple Steps
1. Absorb as much information as you possibly can. Read read read read read, and read a little more. Listen to podcasts. Watch documentaries! Here are my personal recommendations:
- Ask Your Guides: Connecting to Your Divine Support System - Sonia Choquette
- Diary of a Psychic - Sonia Choquette
- Past Lives, Future Loves - Dick Sutphen
- The Amazing Power of Deliberate Intent - Esther and Jerry Hicks
- Cauldrons and Cupcakes (a blog)
- Out on a Limb - Shirley MacLaine
- Intuitive Studies: A Complete Course in Mediumship - Gordon Smith
- You are Psychic - Debra Lynne Katz
- Wake Up (a film, sometimes available on Netflix)
- The Circle (a podcast and community)
- After Life, Answers From the Other Side - John Edward
- Amanda Linette Meder has a fantastic reading list here.
2. Find your community. Finding a community of like-minded individual is good for both practice, for learning, and making friends. The tricky part is finding a community that fits you. The only way to know for sure is to jump in with both feet and give it a shot. Don’t be surprised if you outgrow communities as you develop. There’s nothing wrong with moving on when you’ve learned all you could. Try:
- Online communities on Facebook (There are so many. I personally enjoy The Circle)
- In-person (look for psychic faires, new age and metaphysical shops, and organizations in your area that connect people around your similar interests)
3. Exercise your clair-abilities. These are the “psychic” senses that Spirit uses to communicate with you. Clairvoyance - clear seeing, Clairaudience - clear hearing, Claircognizance - clear knowing, and Clairsentience - clear feeling.
- Tarot is a great gateway to this, because as you try to tune in to the meanings of the cards, you’ll start to get other information (via the clairs) naturally, without even trying.
- Practice and meditation. Meditation and practice. Work with crystals. Work with guided meditations. Practice raising your vibration and bringing your focus to a point where you are open to receiving messages from Spirit. This is such a big topic that it warrants a blog post on its own. I'll add it to my list of things to cover, but until then, get ye to Google or ask around for people's favorite methods. My personal favorite, at the time, was to sit with a crystal for psychic development. Something like amethyst, scolecite, quartz, or kyanite, hold in my hands, or to my third-eye, and just listen. I listened with my mind's eye, with my body, with my heart, and my head, and just took note of whatever came.
- Find a development circle, or a group of other budding mediums with whom to practice with and learn with. Try meetup.com, and a lot of grocery stores have free "New Age" magazines with information about where you can go for free, or low-cost classes and development groups.
4. Continue with the DIY approach, or find a Teacher. There may come a point where you feel that you've hit a wall. That's when you might want to look into finding a teacher/mentor/classes geared towards your particular development path. Or, just keep doing what you're doing. Look into best practices so that you can hone your skills. If you want to deliver messages from Spirit to other people, then start practicing doing that! Look for people to trade readings with. Read for yourself. Practice practice practice. And when you feel like you've got the hang of it, well, then have yourself a little party. Are you delivering helpful messages from Spirit? You're a medium.
Besides these very active, straightforward steps, there’s a matter of moving into the light. I firmly believe that if you want to provide a clear connection to spirit, that means living as close to the light as you can, without being dead of course. Why? The higher your vibration, the easier it is for Spirits to communicate with you, and vice versa. Also, the more you live in alignment with your highest and greatest good, the more the right people and experiences will be attracted to you. How can you do this? The two big things are:
- Self care
- Adjusting your relationships
This means taking care of yourself, doing things that make you and others happy, releasing negative people, negative habits, and negative thoughtforms from your life. This is a tall order to fill, so take it slow. Every little bit counts. Even if for just one day you don’t pass judgement on people or things, that’s good. When you live a “higher vibration” lifestyle, it will be much easier to tap into your abilities and talk to your Guides and other Spirits.
And lastly, for the DIY-er, this is a list of all the things that I learned about, and how to do, on my path up to this point.
My Mediumship Learning Checklist:
- Clearing a space
- Channeling light
- Managing your energy
- Actively recognizing and using each clair-ability
- Identifying spirits
- Receiving and delivering messages
- Earthbounds, and crossing them over
Wishing you the best on the start of your own personal journey!